2019 Nominations open October 1, 2018
Deadline for submission February 1, 2019
- Nomination is open to all Florida inventors, living or dead, who have an affiliation with or connection to Florida (e.g., past/present resident or alma mater)
- Must be a named inventor on a patent issued by the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- The impact of the inventor and his/her invention(s) should be significant to society as a whole
- The invention(s) were commercialized, utilized, or led to important innovations
- If living, nominee must consent to the nomination and cooperate in the preparation of his/her nomination
- No self-nominations accepted
How to nominate an individual for the Florida Inventors Hall of Fame:
As nominator, prepare the information and documents listed below. Incomplete nominations will not be considered. After you have all documents and information ready, log in to the FIHF Portal to complete the online nomination form and upload all documents.
- Online Nomination Form:
- Nominee contact information (including his/her email, phone number, and affiliated institution name)
- Nominee’s biography (400 words max.)
- Nominee’s CV or resume (if none exists, bio may substitute)
- Nominee’s photo (high resolution headshot)
- Proposed citation for nominee. This is a brief statement that succinctly summarizes what the nominee would be inducted for and the impact of his/her invention (200 words).
- At least one patent number issued to nominee by the US Patent and Trademark Office, plus the total number of nominee’s issued patents, if known.
- Letter of Nomination: 1-2 page letter from the nominator that tells about the inventor, his/her invention(s), the impact and significance of the invention(s) on the community, the state of Florida, and society as a whole, and why he/she deserves to be inducted into the Florida Inventors Hall of Fame. Must specifically explain nominee’s relationship to the state of Florida.
- Letter of Support: 1-2 page letter supporting the nomination, including contact information for the person writing the letter.
Nomination Review and Selection:
All complete nomination packets received by the deadline are reviewed by the Selection Committee. It is an honor to be nominated and due to the number of outstanding nominations received, this is a highly competitive selection process. The Florida Inventors Hall of Fame historically elects 6-8 nominees for induction each year. Nominees not selected will be considered for a total of three years and may be re-nominated.
If Candidate Selected:
- Nominee must agree to attend the induction ceremony in Tampa, Florida on September 20, 2019.
- Nominating institution or inductee agrees to prepare a short (3-5 min) biographical video on the nominee to be shown at the induction ceremony, posted on the Florida Inventors Hall of Fame website, and archived with the Smithsonian’s Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation
For questions or assistance with the nomination process, call 813-974-1101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.