Nomination Criteria and Instructions
2017 Nominations are closed. We will begin accepting 2018 nominations October 1, 2017.
- Nomination is open to all Florida inventors, living or dead, who have an affiliation with or connection to Florida (e.g., past/present resident or alma mater)
- Must be a named inventor on a patent issued by the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- The impact of the inventor and his/her invention(s) should be significant to society as a whole
- The invention(s) were commercialized, utilized, or led to important innovations
- If living, nominee must consent to the nomination and cooperate in the preparation of his/her nomination
- No self-nominations accepted
How to nominate an individual for the Florida Inventors Hall of Fame:
As nominator, prepare the information and documents listed below. Incomplete nominations will not be considered. After you have all documents and information ready, log in to the FIHF Portal to complete the online nomination form and upload all documents.
- Online Nomination Form:
- Nominee contact information (including his/her email, phone number, and affiliated institution name)
- Nominee’s biography (400 words max.)
- Nominee’s CV or resume (if none exists, bio may substitute)
- Nominee’s photo (high resolution headshot)
- Proposed citation for nominee. This is a brief statement that succinctly summarizes what the nominee would be inducted for (100 words).
- At least one patent number issued to nominee by the US Patent and Trademark Office, plus the total number of nominee’s issued patents, if known.
- Letter of Nomination: 1-2 page letter from the nominator that tells about the inventor, his/her invention(s), the impact and significance of the invention(s) on the community, the state of Florida, and society as a whole, and why he/she deserves to be inducted into the Florida Inventors Hall of Fame. Must specifically explain nominee’s relationship to the state of Florida.
- Letter of Support: 1-2 page letter supporting the nomination, including contact information for the person writing the letter.
If Candidate Selected:
Please note that the date for the induction ceremony has changed.
- Nominee agrees to attend the induction ceremony in Florida on September 8, 2017 at the Hilton Tampa Downtown
- Nominating institution agrees to prepare a short (3-5 min) biographical video on the nominee to be shown at the induction ceremony, posted on the Florida Inventors Hall of Fame website, and archived with the Smithsonian’s Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation
After you have prepared the preceding information and have gathered all required documents, log in to the FIHF Portal to complete the online nomination form and upload all documents.
Nominees not selected remain active for a total of three years and may be renominated.
For questions or assistance with the nomination process, contact Holly Behrend at 813-974-1101 or by email.